Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shume Mire!

So as I’m slowly trying to learn Albanian as quickly as possible, I still carry my dictionary around with me everywhere that I go. And of course, like learning any language, I at least always try to use the words I know—mainly being “thank you” (faleminderit) and “good” (‘shume mire’). I am slowly getting better and picking up more words in conversation, but mostly I kind of feel like a parrot repeating the things that someone asks me. I did get to throw in the word “llafazani” the other night. My host sister had been joking that my gjyshe (grandmother) and her friend were chatterboxes…and when grandma’s friend spent the night the other night after dinner (think 2 crazy 80-year-old ladies!) they were discussing arranged marriages and the friend and my grandma started chattering away. So I threw in the word llafazani and they got a kick out of it! …and then the friend proceeded to talk in gibberish for a few moments just to joke me that that’s what Albanian sounds like to me (which it still does!).

Tonight at dinner I was finally able to talk a bit more with my host mom though. I am better at kind of formulating sentences…but right now I have to remember that I’ve only been in the country for 1 week! So it seems like I don’t know a whole lot right now, but I guess I do need to give myself a little leniency in the time frame of knowing the language.

On another note—I think it’s so hilarious being in a small village. We are definitely the talk of the town!! There are some things that I haven’t even told my host sister Liza about the other volunteers, but then I come home and she’s asking me questions about so-and-so and knows how many kids they have and where they’re from, etc. It’s kind of amusing. Oh…and EVERYONE is a kusheri (cousin). The first whole day that I was here, Liza and I went over to Seth’s house (another volunteer) who has 3 younger host brothers. And one of their friends was there who was Liza’s cousin…but she had never met him before. But me Seth, and Brett taught them all how to play ultimate Frisbee which was pretty awesome! I figure if my first day in my village is teaching people how to play ultimate, there can only be good things to come! However, I was kind of afraid that my host mom would hate me because I’m corrupting her daughter. Because earlier that morning when I was doing my make-up, Liza had come in to watch and then she asked me to do hers. So after doing her make-up, I took her to a game of ultimate with a bunch of boys! (we were the only girls) …and she DEF has a crush on one of the American guys, I just can’t figure out who (my Shqip isn’t good enough yet!).

Our second day of school (the first day everyone here had out because of a holiday) was today and besides already sticking out because we look like Americans, we have our language classes at an elementary school. So literally, when I was walking in with Connie, everyone in the courtyard was staring us down. Albanians have NO shame about staring open-mouthed at you…and for long periods of time. I’m sure we were the talk of the school for the day. But I kind of like it! I’m thinking about making a choreographed dance routine for all of us as we enter together…that way everyone here will think ALL Americans do that. It’s kind of funny to think that I could do anything and people here would just automatically stereotype that all Americans do the same thing. So sorry if I have any weird habits that will give any of you a bad reputation here!
Otherwise, everything is great! The food has been good—I did realize I’m NOT supposed to brush my teeth with the water in the bathroom (oops!)…but I haven’t had the runs yet. I did use a Turkish toilet for the first time (and hope to God that I never have to poop in one!)…think glorified hole in the ground but inside…and usually with no toilet paper present…and with a cup beside it to wash it down. I’m sure there are many more ridiculous and embarrassing stories on the way, so stay tuned! Me and the other PCVs in my village are hopefully going to go on a hike this weekend in the mountains nearby! Hopefully the weather will permit.

2 comments:

Sharon and Arch Walpole said...

Dearest Rachael,
Walpole Family here!!! It's hard to believe that you are finally in Albania. We are so excited for you.

Also, we know you will do truly awesome work while there. We know that your mom and dad will miss you terribly......but that they will be the most proud among us all who are privileged to know you.

The amount of information that you have provided to us in this short space of time is greatly appreciated. We will keep up with you and your adventures.

Send us your favorite recipes as time goes on. We will want to have one of your fave dishes available to you when you "come home".

All the best and safety to you and your compatriots. May God your path.

Arch and Sharon

Mama said...

Hi Rachel,
I am soooooo glad to hear from you!!!! I sent you an e-mail earlier that I hope you will get. Everyone has been asking about you so now I can tell them to check out your blog. Tell your host family thank you for taking care of you. Sometime in the future I will hopefully be able to meet them. Take care of yourself and have fun!! I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mama